So ladies, you all AGREE with me when I say: PCOS is a nightmare, right? More so after reading about PCOS, its signs, symptoms and its risk factors from my previous article. And, it would be wrong of me to not share the PCOS Solutions.
We saw that there is no cure for PCOS but it is possible to decrease or even completely do away its symptoms.
PCOS is often reversible.
Cysts are just immature follicles or eggs which are reabsorbed as the ovary attempts to ovulate.
The three Super PCOS Solutions are –
- Proper Diet – Heart ❤ healthy food items.
- Exercise – Stay active and exercise at least 5 times a week and do moderate activities.
- Weight loss – Weight loss plays a major role in controlling PCOS. Losing even 5% of extra weight CAN help woman ovulate regularly and lessen other symptoms.
But there’s a catch :
These things that help you control PCOS are the exact things that the disorder make it so difficult to do.
It is as if getting into a never-ending loop. I know ?.
I have been there. I know how tough it is to keep going. But you know what they say,
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Similarly, make the best of your life with PCOS!!
Another important thing is – please quit smoking if you have the habit.
Smoking increases your androgen level and worsens the symptoms of PCOS.
Though doctors still don’t have a solid cause outlined for PCOS, I have my theory by looking at the PCOS trends (Please note that this is my opinion).
About 10 – 15 years ago, there were very few cases of PCOS. Though there’s a chance that it may be due to lack of awareness, you simply cannot deny that it was also less common then. Women used to be super active and they used to eat very healthy, natural, fresh food instead of the artificial trash that we eat.
My doctor had suggested to take lots of fruits, vegetables in your diet and exercise. No more explanation and suggestions were given.. Frankly, I found that very vague and quite uninspiring to start tackling the problem.
So, I formulated my own natural ways of tackling PCOS. So, here are my PCOS Solutions-
No Refined Sugar :
- Sugar is the biggest source of empty calories.
- This should be the first lifestyle change you have to make.
- That means no sugar in coffee, juice or sweets.
- Instead you can have healthier substitutes like jaggery, panavellam (jaggery made from sugarcane) and karupatti (jaggery made from Palm Wine).
- The above substitutes are loaded with anti-oxidants, they cleanse the body, increases immunity and even combat your PMS symptoms such as cramps, abdominal pain etc.
- They are a bit costlier than sugar but worth every penny you spend on them.
Fruits and Vegetables
- Go organic if possible. Have garden or farm fresh fruits and vegetables if you have either of them near you.
- If you live in the city like myself you really don’t have a choice and have to eat whatever fresh fruits or vegetables you can get your hands on.
- Limit intake of mango, jackfruit and banana ( though they have some nutritional value they are also loaded with much empty calories).
- Likewise, limit potato, peas and carrot in vegetables.
No Sunflower/ Vegetable oil
- Just think my dear ladies, sunflower grows in selected parts of the world only.
- In Tamilnadu alone, we consume tons of litres of oil per year. I wonder where do the manufacturers find so much of sunflower seeds to meet the demands of a country with 1.2 billion population.
- Refined cooking oil is the biggest health scam of all times. The rate of coronary heart disease has multiplied after our Indian households started using refined oils.
- Don’t even get me started on olive oil. You need to be very careful while buying it since many brands in the market are adulterated.
- Your best option would be to prepare or rather oversee the extraction. Have you heard of chekku? It is an oil extraction plant. Get peanut or sesame seeds and go to the chekku at least once in two months and get them to prepare oil for you.
- Or you can even buy from them ( In Chennai, it costs around Rs.250 per litre). The cost is the same for coconut or groundnut or sesame oil.
- Your time is a small price to pay for your health.
Avoid Rice and Wheat
- Whenever your doctor suggests you have to lose weight, you just think of wheat right? Well, think again, for wheat is way too over processed and genetically modified.
- Your best bet would be to switch to millets.
- Millet is high in fiber and hence are digested slowly making you feel full for a longer time.
- They are loaded with proteins and other nutrients and have low carbohydrate content unlike rice and wheat. I’ll cover millet in detail in a separate article.
- I know that it would be a huge step to change into millet diet after years of having rice. You can start by having millet 3-4 times a week.
Be Calorie Conscious
- Each tidbit of snacks like chips, sweets, biscuits, french fries etc. you consume loads of calories.
- Split your meals into 5 small portions so that you never go hungry but yet eating limited amount of food.
- Replace all the above snacks with healthier substitutes like salads, soups. You can replace tea with green tea.
- Stop having juices. A lot of fibre gets lost via the pulp that we throw away.
- Saute or bake or boil vegetables and avoid frying them.
- Replace processed salt with unprocessed or rock salt.
- Have nuts in limited numbers (not more than 5-6 a day). It is good for skin and hair.
- I try to exercise at least 4-5 times a week and I avoid sleeping during day time so that I’ll promptly feel sleepy by 11 pm. You know what they say sunshine! Early to bed and early to rise..
- Rather than heavy or extreme exercises try muscle strengthening exercises like yoga or aerobics.
- The above suggestions given is enough to cut your body weight.
- Yet, you can give weight loss a boost by trying GM diet plan.(again, I’ll write an article covering that).
- Have warm lime water (without sugar, of course) in the morning after waking up, it’ll give you a great morning boost and keep your metabolism in great shape.
Water is your best friend
- Drink lots of water.
- It flushes out toxins, keeps your hydrated, keeps your skin healthy. Do I need to continue the list? Pretty sure you guys know what an elixir water is.
- Never compromise on your sleep.
- Have a steady sleeping timings. It helps your body function properly.
All this may feel extremely difficult especially in the starting stages. Even I felt and still feel the same. But I remind myself that my body is my home and it is my duty to take care of it.
I am NOT going to let PCOS take control of my life. I am NOT going to be depressed or anxious about my life and PCOS. You and I are beautiful and we DESERVE to be happy.
Let’s take PCOS as a strict disciplinarian who takes action if we don’t take care of our physical and emotional wellness and not a sickness as if something is wrong with you, shall we?
So, I am going to go positive. I am going to do everything I can to tame PCOS because the thought of infertility scares me. I want to have kids in the future. And I know most of you have dreams about giving your daughters the kind of life that you didn’t have or about raising your kids in the right way. To see a part of your grow up and flourish.
So, let’s gear up ladies and tame that damn PCOS.